Wednesday, July 28, 2010

She Carried It in Pretty Little Boxes


I finally caved and started using Facebook a few weeks ago. While I love reconnecting with old friends, the entire experience has tapped a reservoir of guilt and regret that has been nicely packaged away all these years. We moved a lot when I was a kid, every time leaving solid friendships and circles of dearly loved people. Over time, I learned to package up all the feelings and forget about them.
Once I came face to face with names and faces of people I cared about, I felt a mix of joy and terrible guilt and regret. I suppose some of that is normal for a woman with 40 years under her belt. Still painful.
My painting is called "She Carried It in Pretty Little Boxes." The painting expresses the discovery of all these emotions so neatly packed away in my life. My hope is that by unpacking the boxes of emotions, I can snip the lines that tether them to my present life. I am ready to let the guilt and regret go. Life is about moving forward.





1 comment:

  1. Jennifer,
    I was really moved by your art and your commentary. I think the painting is a great visualization of the feelings and emotions you've been hiding away all these years. Out with the old and in with the new -- life is about loving, losing, holding on and letting go. In the words of Robert Frost, "The best way out is through." Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete