Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Inspiration Everywhere

Last week brought an unexpected trip to see my family in Missouri. Since the kids are in school, I was able to go alone. It was a wonderful to have my parents all to myself for a few days. They spoiled me royally and I loved it.

While there, my dad and I did a little junking. Dad and I could give American Pickers a real run for their money. We are not afraid of spiders, mold, or threat of rodents. If we see good loot, we will climb to get it. Even in flip flops.

Imagine my delight when I realized there was an enormous junk warehouse just miles from their house. How had I never known this? Welcome to the Cimarron Antique Mall (and Native American Museum!) in Sarcoxie, Missouri.



Mounds and mounds of everything. Irons, cast iron skillets, depression glass, linens, tacky glass angels, and even a large pouch made of a dried bull scrotum. Yep.


I walked away with this copper bracelet for only $4. 


On the way to the airport, Mom and Dad treated me to a side trip to Eureka Springs, Arkansas. What a dreamy little spot tucked into the Ozark hills. It used to be a health resort back in the 1890's, famous for its healing springs. Today it is known for its artsy-fartsiness. So, of course, I want to move in. 



Once home, I was delighted to find a package waiting for me - a new art book!  The Found Object, by Cas Holmes. This one is my new favorite.


This book is not filled with step-by-step project instructions, so if you are new to paper and textile art, you might feel a bit overwhelmed. But, if you have some experience under your belt and want to explore,  you will love the technique descriptions, broad instructions and LOADS of inspiration.

Reading the book this weekend inspired me to start some new creations. My technique involves smooshing trash between sheets of rice paper, adding ink, cutting, and who knows... I 'm still experimenting!



And finally... I've been playing around with Golden Fiber Paste. Here's a little video.


May your day be filled with inspiration and lots of art-making!

10 comments:

  1. Great photos Jennie. The Cas Holmes book is drool time. I love her work, it is so free. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally is for drooling. I can see that you would love her work too. Very experimental and spontaneous, like your work!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time and how nice is it to come home to a surprise waiting for you? The crochet top you mentioned in your comment on my last post sounds very special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed so special. It just needs to be a bit cooler and I will be sporting it proudly!

      Delete
  3. Um, I don't think I would ever need a large pouch *that* badly :|

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was a feast for my eyes...Junking, cool old buildings, love Cas Holmes' book, seeing your artwork and an informative video. What fun! I have Fiber Paste but only used it to coat some used tea bag papers. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiber Paste on used tea bag papers - that sounds really fun too! will have to try it!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jenny. That sounds like it was an excellent visit with your parents. That bag you saw at the junk shop is interesting and quite hilarious. My goodness! Enjoy the peeks at your newest artworks and you video about Fiber paste. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed, Loulou. Yes the bag was quite a treat. I didn't even notice it. My dad pointed it out!

      Delete