Friday, November 30, 2012

Crafty Magnetism

So I was at the craft store for something very specific, when I spied a little something I had to have. Michael's sells these 2 inch square mini canvases in packs of 8. How could I resist such perfect little work surfaces? I bought two packs - one white, one black. I knew they would make great magnets. And who doesn't need another magnet? No one, I tell you. We all need a new magnet every now and then.

I started with the black canvases and just added layers of smudgy colors with my fingers


and layers of stenciled pan pastel dots.


I sat and looked at them for a while. Pause. Pause. Pause.

I decided to draw some lady faces on old paper


and paint them with watercolor paint,


then glue them onto the canvas panels using liquid matte medium.

Next, I sat and stared into space for a bit.

I thought about what I would say to my close friends, family members, and co-workers who have become close friends over the years. The only phrase that came to mind..."thank God you put up with me." So, I wrote that phrase on my magnets using a white Pentel Sunburst gel pen.

I poured a thick layer of glossy varnish over the top of each magnet.

Tomorrow I will attach a heavy duty magnet disc to the back using e-6000 glue.


I'm not sure who will be the recipient of one of these, but there are so many kind folks who have put up with me over the years. It could be a difficult decision. I think I might need to make more.

6 comments:

  1. Those are excellent! I bet your treatment is right up there amongst the best of what has been done with those little canvases. Your friends will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these!!!! Great background treatment and the doodled faces are PERFECT! Such an awesome thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So charmong, what friend wouldn't love these.....xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Busy busy you are! These magnets are great! I also really like you garland in the previous post!

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete