Monday, September 2, 2013

Create Was GREAT! And other news...




Life has been a bit crazy lately. After a year of staying home and focusing on art, I realized something important about myself. I don't like being home alone. I found myself getting lonely and sad. So... back to work. I just started a new day job as a Kindergarten assistant at the elementary school only a half mile from my house. I was a little nervous about taking the job. I knew I'd love the crafts, story-telling, and those great school hours and vacations. But... would I lose my mind with 20 five-year-olds? I've never worked with that many children. I decided to step out of my comfort zone and give it a try.

I have not lost my mind yet. And to my very happy surprise... I absolutely love it! The experience has been so encouraging. Already, I've learned three things.
1) I need routine. It gives my creative side permission to be free.
2) Never quit trying to find the right path. Keep tweaking and trying new opportunities. Keep what sticks.
3) My creative path will be unique. What works for other artists might not work for me.

After starting my new job, I got to take a quick break and head to Chicago to teach two classes at CREATE!


I was so pumped to find this fabulous suitcase (on clearance at Marshall's!) for all my art supplies. Although I forgot to pack underwear (and had to make a skivvy run to Target), I did manage to fit all my supplies into this big boy.

CREATE was a wonderful experience!  I met such creative, interesting, and fun women who loved getting messy as much as I do!




I was also very lucky to have two sorority sisters from my University of Illinois days in one of my classes and a very special helper along for the ride - my husband, Chris.

After a few days at CREATE, we headed into the city for one more day of fun before heading back to reality.





We walked to Navy Pier and rode the Ferris wheel. 


We stayed the night in a boutique hotel downtown, The Monaco. Such a cute room!

When we got home, I was delighted to be greeted with a big box from Yasutomo! I was recently honored to be included in their first design team. As a member of the team, I received a bounty of beautiful art supplies. I am charged with creating projects with these supplies for the next six months. How lucky can a crafty girl get?! 


Happy fall to all! 


4 comments:

  1. Hi there Jenny!!! So glad to hear from you again. From the sound of this post( and the pic of you jumping for joy) I can see you are much happier and as you said, we all need/deserve to search for and go with that which suits our souls best. Good luck with your new job. And,oooh, how awesome to get such a wonderful pkg. of products to play with-I'd love for them to send me a pkg like that to play with too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always Linda, you are so encouraging. Thank you so much for stopping by and giving me a virtual hug. I appreciate it so much!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jenny! When I saw your blog on my blog list... something I have been getting neglectful about :-( .... I immediately wondered how the classes went! I was so ready to sign up until life got in the way and I found myself knee deep in fixing up mil's house in Ohio. Anyway, thanks for the posting your update! And thanks for the honesty about feeling alone and sad. I am right there with ya! And like you, have realized that I need to do something about it. I love when women have the courage to express these feelings as it helps others not to feel like there must be something wrong with themselves! Here's to finding my niche and here's to hoping I get to take a class with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kadee! Thank you so much for your encouraging comment! I get so frustrated with myself on this creative journey, but I will not give up - and you can't give up either. We will find our happy places!

      Delete